Friday, September 04, 2015

Medical

Appointment with the Pain Relief Unit August 8, 2015

Lord Avebury currently complains of pain in both his knees due to osteoarthritis. The pain is generally worse on flexion of the knee, climbing stairs, or standing for long periods of time. He walks with a stick. He also  complains of a burning sensation around the ulcer on the lateral aspect of the left foot.... I was pleased to hear that the ulcer is now drying up and that advice has been given for it to be exposed to the air. I am hopeful that as this heals, the pain will subside.

The third area of pain is over the left chest but he has recently been diagnosed with a chest infection and has been prescribed some antibiotics which I am sure will help him. ...

He has in the past tried Tramadol which he found to be quite effective, and it did not give him any side effects. I have therefore suggested he might try taking 50 mg and I have asked him to increase the dose after a week to 100 mg twice a day, and after a further week to 100 mg three times daily.

The ulcer gets no better and I saw the GP this Wednesday, who prescribed antibiotics for a week. There is still chest pain, so I don't think it had anything to do with the chest infection. I have been taking Tramadol 100 mg twice day but perhaps I will step it up now to three times a day.

I'm feeling rundown and suspect my haemoglobin has dropped since the last test in July. The next test in haematology isn't until October 21 and I feel uneasy about a 3-month interval between tests.

There is also the possibility that it is the natural consequence of approaching my estimated end of life in or about July next year. I'm feeling a need to reduce my work in the House, and paperwork connected with that work, a little further

No comments: