Thursday, October 27, 2011

Medical - vascular

This image of my left femoral artery was scanned last Thursday, and Dr R discussed it with me this morning. It shows that the artery is totally blocked at one point, but the blood finds alternative pathways so that diminished flow still reaches the bottom of the leg. Dr R said that angioplasty to remove the blockage could be undertaken but (a) it doesn't last and (b) if it goes wrong it carries a small risk that the leg would have to be amputated. So he advised that as I'm capable of walking, it was better to leave it alone. His letter to the GP:
"The duplex scan of the left leg showed that he has got a short occlusion of the superficial femoral artery at the adductor hiatus. We had a discussion about treatment options, including angioplasty. However, since his walking distance could be unlimited uf he walks at a slower pace, I do not think at this stage the risk of having an angioplasty of the SFA is justified. The plan is to see hum again in my clinic in six months' time, with a follow up of his EVAR and I will reassess him again from the leg point of view".
Posted by Picasa

No comments: