Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Christmas lunch at Lyulph's

Lunch at Lyulph's, with the traditional turkey, brussels sprouts, roast potatos, parsnips (cooked in High Elms honey), mince pies and plum pudding. Lindsay made the bread sauce, cranberry sauce and brandy butter What does the Archbishop of Canterbury advise one to eat on this day, I wonder, and does he himself sit down to Ryvita and water? But he's right about greed threatening to destroy the planet, and the epidemic of consumer spending at Christmas and the winter sales that have already begun makes a significant contribution. What can I do about kind friends who send me bottles of drink, and boxes of chocolates and sweets? I don't like to risk offending them by pointing out that I gave up alcohol in 1973 and sweets in 1977!

No comments: